Monday, November 25, 2013

Dear Henry



Dear Henry:
                You’ve only written to me a handful of times but I want you to know what you’ve done.  When I read Walden I was just another person.  All I cared to do was amass what I could to feel successful, fulfilled, and complete.  I read what you wrote me because I wanted to read American classics.  Nothing else has affected me like you.  The rest were all books.  You wrote me a letter.
                I wonder Henry, if you would see simplicity when you walked in my door.  You had the stillness of solitude.  I have a wife, kids, work outside the home, and college at night.  I will not trade them, but they are far from simplicity.  So I ask you, Henry, am I doing alright?  Every morning when I walk out to my car I watch my small farm clamor around me and I appreciate them.  I don’t curse the fir needles on my car.  I notice the grass turn from green to brown and back to green, finally to be covered under frost in the dead of winter.  I look at the fruit trees I planted and the simple garden and delight in their growth; then I look at the fir trees planted by God and realize how little I am master of Nature.  You see, you forced me to take heed of nature all around me.  Portland is my Concord, the pond is the cross streets of 179th Avenue and Washington Street; that is where my house is, my cabin.  You understand.
                Henry, I have to say in all I have learned from you I have something against you.  In all I learned from you about simplicity I am burdened to achieve this feat.  The promises of convenience tie me down until I am eventually wrapped in a tangled net of empty assurances that my life will be better once I have their products.  I try to clip the web but it is so difficult.  So what I have against you is that you made me see that there is a hole in the net.  On the other side of that hole is a place that is full of God and Nature.  That humanity’s problems can’t be solved by wars and that the mere thought of claiming a country outside of the very place you live is futile at best.  I feel the net tighten and I put my finger in the webbing and tug.  Perhaps there are some that don’t see it as a net.  They may see it as a blanket and they wrap themselves in the warmth of consuming all the trappings of commerce.  I know I’m being strangled.  You showed me this burden, this truth.   Therefore I hold something against you.
                The truth is; I love you.  I can no more hold my burden against you than I could be angry at a botanist for telling me some plant I wanted to eat was poison.  I love you for telling me that I was poisoning myself and I love that you did it one hundred fifty years in advance.  I love that when I talk about you the people I love smile and the people I hate roll their eyes.  I wish we could save them all.  That simply isn’t going to happen; maybe I shouldn’t judge the saved and unsaved.  This is no religion.  If you were writing doctrine then I don’t want it.  I don’t want to make your words theology.  Eventually they would get dogmatic and cold.  I do want to tell you how I love you and your words. Thank you for they have changed my life.

Simply yours,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment